While trees are beautiful features of landscaping, they can sometimes pose a threat to buildings in a number of ways, and the sad truth is that tree removal may be the only solution.
InterNACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspectors) says that, contrary to popular belief, tree roots don’t usually puncture a building’s foundation. However, they can damage a foundation in the following ways, which may result in the need for tree removal:
- Large root systems that grow under a building can cause foundation uplift.
- Sometimes roots can penetrate a home’s foundation through pre-existing cracks.
- Roots can draw water from soil under a foundation, causing the structure to sink and settle unevenly.
- Broken branches and leaves can block gutters, causing potential water penetration and ice dams.
- A tree too close to a home may present a fire hazard. Soffit vents allow easy access for flames to enter a building.
- Damaged, old or weak trees may fall, endangering people and property.
- Tree roots can pierce underground drainage pipes, especially if they leak. Water leaking from a sanitary or drainage pipe can encourage root growth at the leak source, and the roots could eventually enter the pipe and block its flow.
- Trees may be used by rodents and insects to gain access to a home.
- Falling branches and trees can topple communication and power lines.
At Evolve Professional Landscape Management, we are the premier landscape design & maintenance company in Central Florida, offering a wide range of services. Contact us for a free landscaping estimate in Lakeland, Bartow, Winter Haven, Mulberry, Ft. Meade, or Auburndale.